Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Our Big Scare...5 years ago

I can not believe that it has already been 5 years. One of the scariest days of our lives seems like it was so recent. The images and day's happenings are still so vivid in my mind. On March 25, 2004, our 16 day old baby weighing about 6 1/2 lbs was airlifted to Spokane from Pullman. She had RSV and was a very sick little girl. I remember the pediatrician telling me in his office, as we waited for the ambulance to transport her to the hospital, "You have a very sick little girl. We're going to do everything we can to save her." Nothing a mother wants to hear.

Day 2 in ICU, getting a break from the tent for a routine "beating" (pounding on the back and sides to break up the goop in her lungs) as part of her respiratory therapy. Doesn't she look so small and helpless?!

I think one of the most difficult parts was that I was alone. Leonard was in the field and at the time, we had no cell service in the LaCrosse area. He had no idea his little girl was even in Pullman, I took her on a minute's notice as my motherly instinct just knew she needed to go. I had to have Tricia go and find him in the field to tell him we were headed to Spokane. By the time he got in the car and drove, he got stopped in construction just outside of Pullman and saw us fly out of town. It was so scary for him! I was so relieved to arrive in Spokane at Sacred Heart and find my sister-in-law in the hallway waiting for us to arrive. (If I remember accurately, I fell into her arms like a ton of bricks!)
The dr in Pullman was amazing, and to this day he adores Abree and the progress she has made. Just this last week he gave her the biggest hug and told her how happy it makes him to see her so healthy. He always just smiles when he sees her and shakes is head in amazement. He often says that he thinks of her and the scare she gave us. He was incredible throughout the entire ordeal. He was with us in the ambulance, he wouldn't leave the emergency room, he walked us to and helped us load in the helicopter, he called daily in Spokane to check on her! His dedication is admirable! (Don't want you to think I was a bad mom, but I had taken her into the dr 3 days prior and they told me she had a simple cold. Each day I would call the dr's office to check in and tell them what was going on and the nurse would tell me, "Keep doing what you're doing, she'll get better soon!")

After a very big fight from our little angel, an amazing God on our side answering many prayers, wonderful dr's, their knowledge, and skills who worked so hard to help her, and a great support system, after a few days Abree grew stronger and stronger and was finally able to return home after about 11 days. Those first few days were quite tough, but she pulled through!
I still cannot thank enough all who helped us through this challenging time. Our families who jumped in and took care of the Ashtyn and Gunnar, my sister-in-laws (AKA "The Aunties") who would spend days and evenings with me at the hospital making sure she got the best possible care and taking care of both of us so Leonard could continue to farm at such an important time (and relieve me so I could get a shower!), the community members who jumped in to help farm so Leonard could spend time with us in Spokane, too. And, everyone who prayed, visited, called, and just cared! We cannot thank you enough and will never forget! We are so blessed by those that surround us!

Out of ICU and getting stronger each day in hopes of going home.

And, look at her today! Spunky, healthy and full of life...we call her the firecracker! She has been so fortunate not to show any signs of asthma or other respiratory struggles, which are common in RSV babies. Research has shown that babies with RSV within their first month of life are less likely to have asthma...so far that has held true. She is so lucky! But, what a scare she gave us! Hopefully that is the only scare she'll give us in her lifetime, as it was big enough to use up all her "scare" category at only 16 days old!

Thank you God for giving us a chance to raise our little girl as you wish us to!

God is good!

3 comments:

Lolli said...

I agree...it seems like just yesterday when you called. I remember driving to Spokane to see you and being speechless when I walked in the room. She looked so helpless in her little bubble. I'm so glad she is your little firecracker.

Miller Family said...

A big Amen! Wow! God definitely provides us the strength we need at the times we need them most. And most importantly, you leaned on Him for that strength.

What sweet little girl!

henleyfamily said...

Oh my gosh, AMEN for that! Looking at her today you'd never know she went through such a period of struggle, she is definitely an amazing gift!